Well. The meat birds are separated from the layers! And that means that our regular Tuesday Fashion Installment is put on hold for yet another ‘Coopin” post! (Try to contain your excitement.)
Maple and myself used the same burned spruce logs to fashion the top frame of this coop. For the bottom base we used garage doors scrapped from the Transfer Site and several logs that we had downed last year. Beginning this project required throwing the large pile of wood uphill that was sitting directly where the larger chicken run would go.
The mosquitoes are wretched this year. Absolutely awful. I feel like I’m in the movie, “The Mummy” when the locusts swarm the poor guides and they all fall down as dessicated versions of their former selves.
Maple and I powered through however and got half the bottom up on Friday night. On Saturday my wonderful brother came over and really helped us power through an enormous amount of work. Despite the mosquitoes it was a lovely day; good food, good company and lots of work accomplished.
Sunday’s work consisted of everyone’s favorite task (chicken wire!) but since we had run out of netting we used scrapped utility fence from the Transfer Site to block off the top of run. We did a really good job of using burled pieces of wood for the top braces. I became a wee bit obsessed with taking pictures of all the different angles.
Cheers and Love,
Maple and Me